I saw a woman standing at the airport when we arrived in NaTrang. She was just a bit younger than me. Blonde, slim and very attractive. Well dressed. Poised. She was standing together with a younger woman, presumably her daughter. She looked very much like the older woman but she was challenged physically and mentally. I couldn't help but study them. What was their story? There was a calmness in the older woman that extended to the younger one. When it was time to depart from the arrival gate they held hands and peacefully walked toward a taxi.
One day later I am speaking at a pastor and wife retreat. There is a dark skinned younger woman from the Central Highlands. She sits in the front row. We constantly make eye contact and share smiles. Her husband is shorter than her and darker skinned. They seem happy. What is their story? I am to learn the next day that the rice field in which they work and make their living has been confiscated by the government. They no longer have a means to provide for their family. What am I going to be able to tell this faithful woman when I stand to speak tomorrow? Will the message I have prepared about contentment be able to help her? Will I be able to deposit hope and faith into her soul? I pray so.
My world looks different from both of these women's situations but I know the gospel of Jesus reaches every one of us where we are living. His Words are life. Life that is truly life.
Help me, Jesus.
Help all of us.
One day later I am speaking at a pastor and wife retreat. There is a dark skinned younger woman from the Central Highlands. She sits in the front row. We constantly make eye contact and share smiles. Her husband is shorter than her and darker skinned. They seem happy. What is their story? I am to learn the next day that the rice field in which they work and make their living has been confiscated by the government. They no longer have a means to provide for their family. What am I going to be able to tell this faithful woman when I stand to speak tomorrow? Will the message I have prepared about contentment be able to help her? Will I be able to deposit hope and faith into her soul? I pray so.
My world looks different from both of these women's situations but I know the gospel of Jesus reaches every one of us where we are living. His Words are life. Life that is truly life.
Help me, Jesus.
Help all of us.
I pray God's Holy Spirit speaks richly through you, Linda, because His word is encouragement. I know He'll use you!! Love you! Sandy
ReplyDelete