Bethany and Sheila
This little venture all began after reading a book called Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller. Sheila read it too and afterwards mentioned she would like to check out the church that a had made such an impact on this author. So one day I called her and said, "Let's do it!" So we set out to visit Imago Dei on the Sunday morning. In the meantime it was great fun planning a little itinerary.

This is The Lion and the Rose Bed and Breakfast where we stayed.
It was built in 1906 and was Victorian to the hilt. Our room was right in that turret on the second floor.
It was great fun to walk out of the B&B and into the urban neighborhood. This is where we had halibut cheeks for dinner. Who knew halibut had cheeks? Not me.
Just a typical breakfast for Linda and Sheila.
We spent quiet times hanging around the house. You can read Sheila's thoughts here in her blog entitled It Was You.
When we weren't at the B&B we found ourselves learning how to get around the city on the public transit system. We went to Powell's Books - a three story bookstore that takes up a whole city block! I actually found my needle in a haystack - a book that I had borrowed at the Guelph Library and wanted to own. We took in a matinee at the Living Room Theater - "Paris". The unique concept is that there are about five little theaters that seat about 50 people and you can order your lunch or dinner and have it delivered to you in the comfort of your big chair.
We found Fabric Depot. All fabrics were 20% off. I've never seen such a big fabric store. I actually bought nothing but had a great time browsing and dreaming.
We made it to Imago Dei as planned. Isn't it the way that when you invite someone to church often times the pastor is away or there is a business meeting or who knows what that is unusual? We weren't disappointed with the theory, for truly the pastor was away. But we got to experience the community of believers who meet in a great big huge brick high school in a Portland neighborhood. And in that, we were not disappointed. We got to hear a very meaningful sermon by a visiting speaker. If you would like to hear it for yourself click here - The Roots of Poverty. I know you will be challenged and stirred.
It was a great weekend.
And now I am home.
When I returned home I got the message that Matt, Gina, Sam and Lola were flying in to Vancouver for a couple of days so that Sam could see the Vancouver Aquarium and visit Grama and Grampa and also Uncle Jonathon and Aunt Mu. So, tomorrow the Woods will be here for an overnighter. Life is full of surprises and this is a special one. Grampa is particularly excited because he hasn't seen Sam since June. He's got plans to get Sam out in the backyard to work in the cold so they can come in for hot cocoa! Won't that be fun??
Bye for now.

Looks like an amazing time!!
ReplyDeleteI think I love Portland. Glad you got to go with Sheila and have a girls trip.
I will talk to you later!
XO
Nice photos Linda....It really was a relaxing/fun trip....and thanks for the clean food you prepared for the roadtrip (excluding the unsalted bird food....hehehe)
ReplyDeleteBTY...Al loved the bottle of wine I brought home 'specially for him......maybe on the next trip I'll dance on the table and 'spill my guts'...but it'll take a tastier bottle to make it happen.....
We never talked about "Paris." How was it? And if you dined in the theater? We dined in the lounge that night, but I never did get my truffles. I'm thinking we'll go back for those along with a film. It was good to see you, though so short! Just like our last visit over the summer! Checking out the calendar and the BC train schedule....
ReplyDeleteWhat a great trip you had!Can't wait to hear more about it.
ReplyDelete