


There used to be a day that when I would hear Gina say, "Give it to Mom", and I knew she meant me. You can imagine my confusion when I went running to get whatever I was to get and realized that she was speaking to her son about herself. Oops! Wrong mom. I have been Auntie Linda forever and now I'm hearing the word Auntie dropped left right and center and I am not the reference. And most certainly when I heard the word Grama it was in reference to Grama Eileen or Grama Carmen.
I would venture to say that we are in the transition phase as the next generation assumes the roles that were mine alone. I have not lost my Mom or Auntie status but have assumed a grander one called grandmother. I now have to listen in context to the conversation.
What a joy to see my daughters become Mommies and Aunties. This applies to the male folk of our family as well. So now when I say, "Grampa wants to talk to you", I have to add proper names to clarify which Grampa I am referring to!
Ah, the Circle of Life!
love this line: I have not lost my Mom or Auntie status but have assumed a grander one called grandmother.
ReplyDelete