When God's children wandered in the desert for forty years he sent them manna from heaven to sustain them. This substance was so unusual that they called it manna - literally 'what is it?' They ate it to survive. The month of July was quite the month for Bob and me. We received our daily bread and we ate the mystery. And we too survived. There were many times that my understanding was unfruitful. So many things happened and many things didn't happen that were expected to happen. Through it all the Bread from Heaven, Jesus Himself, sustained me and assured me that the big picture is bigger than my own understanding. I could rest in His Love and I did.
As I look back I am so thankful for our good health and well being. I slept in beds that were not my own, ate foods that were abundant and out of the ordinary, was surrounded by stimulus that was foreign to me. I was often unable to communicate in English and even English failed me when I came back to the States because some things can't be put into words.
I thought I would blog but I didn't. I find I really don't do well with traveloguing, I'm too busy traveling and taking it all in. I was glad that my friend Glenna posted emails of some of our events and I will enjoy going back to read them.
So here is an attempt to capsulize some of the goings on of our July 2011...
 |
| Traveling Light |
I left for Vietnam on June 30 with one carry on and a lovely bag from Paris that Yolanda gave me. The zipper broke at the Vancouver airport:( I was determined not to be a shopaholic this trip so I kept the bags small. I did have to leave Paris in Saigon and purchased a colorful Vietnamese bag to replace it. Oops, that means I already shopped, doesn't it??
 |
| Katie, Wally, Glenna |
When we arrived in Saigon our friend Katie from ANCF met us at the airport. She had arrived the day before to begin her backpacking adventures. She hung out with us 'older' people for a few hours. The next time we saw her for a quick coffee she had already met other travellers and was well on her way to her fabulous SE Asia adventure...
 |
| Oops! |
Have you ever shown up wearing the same outfit as someone else? Glenna and I were looking like the Bobbsey twins when we came down for breakfast. Who knew? I took it as a sign that we were on the same page and ready to go to work for the purpose in which we came.
 |
| Shopping! |
Since I was determined to be a good girl about shopping I thoroughly enjoyed watching Glenna get started. Notice the incredible shopping malls that are springing up all over Vietnam. It was shocking. I don't even have that in my home town! The markets are alive and well but there are certainly changes in this modern country.
 |
| Coastal City |
We had flown from Saigon to our destination city. I don't have the liberty to speak clearly about all of this but I will enjoy speaking personally to anyone who wants to know more. I had never been to this coastal city before and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Our hotel was here on the beach. The roadway runs parallel with the shoreline and all buildings are on this side of the road. This picture looks quite calm but in true Vietnamese style the road is always abuzz with traffic.
 |
| Steamed lens from the humidity |
The conference took place in the city but you would never know it by the lush surroundings. It had a beautiful pond with fountains and Koi fish. The restaurant and conference building served the group of 100 plus very nicely. There was a playground for the children as the whole family was able to come and enjoy this wonderful time of refreshment for the four days.
 |
| Meeting with my interpreter |
This was not the first time I've spoken to a group through an interpreter but let's face it, it's not something I do regularly. This gal was a lovely university graduate who was also learning the art and is hoping to do this as a regular job.
 |
| An eager, open group of leaders |
Our team of Wally and Glenna and Bob and Linda took turns in teaching for four days. We would meet in the mornings for a time of worship and teaching sessions. I'm convinced that we all learned equally. It was a fantastic experience for all of us.
 |
| After a class - My Honey and Me |
The afternoons and evenings were spent resting, sightseeing and dining. It's a tough life, but someone needs to do it.
 |
| My Hero! |
 |
| Temples Galore |
 |
| Elderly Buddhist Nun |
 |
| Resting Buddah |
I'm thankful that my God neither slumbers or sleeps but always watches over me!
 |
| Catholic Church |
There are daily rosary prayers. I have experienced this before. This time I was made very aware of the similarities between religions. That subject is worthy of another blog!
 |
| Markets |
 |
| Street Vendors |
 |
| Trendy Restaurants |
 |
| My special Gal |
On every trip there is always someone who captures your heart in some way. I don't know her name or where she lives and we couldn't speak a word in common but something beautiful transpired and I have a fan to prove it.
 |
| The Body of Christ |
This photo is a fuzzy pic of the beginning of a video I took. This was the day that Bob learned his mother Carmen was diagnosed with leukemia. This is a hard thing to hear especially so many miles from home. There was nothing he could do but proceed with his day. It turned into one of the most spiritual experiences he's ever had. One by one the members filed forward to receive the heavenly communion bread, the manna I spoke of earlier. I will cherish this video but of course the memory of the experience. There wasn't a dry eye in the house that day. No one would have ever known the personal pain Bob was feeling. He was the able minister that always rises to the occasion. I'm glad that Jesus has such a faithful sidekick.
 |
| Presentation |
Glenna was able to make several presentations to the group. One was the gift of handmade clothing items for children that Julie Adam stitched and sent. Another was the gift of tea cups that she purchased in the market as a souvenier to the husbands and wives to remind them to take time apart together.
 |
| Music transcends language |
Wally put his message into a beautiful song at the end of his teaching. He was followed by a little 8 year old girl.
The papparazzi was everywhere! There are no shortages of digital cameras in Vietnam!
 |
| Sisters in the Lord |
 |
| Ditto |
We were all very pleased with our time together. Our only complaint was that it didn't last long enough.
This is a brief account of a time well spent.
More later.....
Fantastic! I felt like I was there with you. Thanks
ReplyDelete