Friday, February 25, 2011

To Blog or not to Blog

That is the question!
Picture yourself anywhere, anytime enjoying the moment.
You are 'present'.
Suddenly you start thinking, "This would be a nice thing to blog about." The next thing you know, you are looking for your camera, going through the 'script' of the story you could tell in words and pictures. It's really a very fun, creative outlet. They used to say, "The whole world is your stage!" Now they can say, "The whole world is your blogspot."

Partly, bloggers want to be known by those who they trust care about them. They want to share their life and experience and feel the connection with their audience.

I go through phases of feeling more 'private' and like Mary of the Bible I just want to ponder these things in my heart, holding them close and protecting the inner world within a small inner circle.

I think if a person blogs they have an obligation to provide entries. It's frustrating to go to someone's blogspot and find the same ol', same ol' with no updates. I realized that I had come to that so I just locked entry into the site for a couple of weeks.

What happened next was quite humorous to me. Suddenly I had comments from readers who I never knew existed. I had more dialogue about my blog when I closed it than I did when I had it open. You see, what happens is we all like our anonymity  and we just go in and out of websites at our leisure and for our pleasure never realizing the craving of a blogger to have feedback.

Which brings me to another point...Really. Are we blogging for others or for ourselves? It is such a creative outlet to let words flow and the blog becomes a type of journal that we can tuck away in cyberspace for future reference. But@! If a blogger does it only for themselves, it would be easy to lock the site and blog away in privacy. I find I don't do that. I like having an audience. So for me, it is a happy marriage of blogging for myself and for the enjoyment of others.

There is a responsibility that comes with blogging. I have to choose my words carefully when it comes to writing about other people or showing their pictures. So for me, the blog never becomes a totally true and complete picture of the goings on in my life. It is never intended to be that.

It should not, in my opinion, be a soap box either. Okay, I just have an aversion to RANTERS. This world is obviously filled with problems that many would like to point out to us day after day. I want to read blogs that offer uplifting and encouraging solutions.

Some blogs are just plain eYe CaNdy...I adore these sites and never leave comments myself because they don't know me personally. I obviously enjoy sites that picture vintage decorating and creative sewing. It spurs me on to my own hobbies. It's so AMAZING how you can find tutorials on just about anything. I really appreciate and admire these mostly young women who have set their hand to creativity. I think I would have flourished as a tutorial maker in my glory days of running my drapery business. At the time I was at the cutting edge and had so much to offer to others who were interested in decorating through sewing. It would have been very fun for me, I can see that!

So to blog or not to blog. I think I must blog. I've enjoyed sitting here at my computer, the sun streaming in through the window, a coffee cup to my left, music wafting out of the kitchen where the soup is simmering, spending some time as I wait for Bob to return home for lunch. This is the season of my life and I am the first to acknowledge the blessings that surround me.

Have you ever thought of blogging?
If the answer is yes, call me.
I'll help set you up.
Have a great weekend.


4 comments:

  1. Be careful what you ask for sister! You might get phone calls! I am happy you're back Lindylu!! I am a bit jealous of your surroundings though. Sounds very nice. Love you, you know who.

    ReplyDelete
  2. to blog or not to blog...I would tell you about my claustrophia. Did you know that I don't even button my jackets for that very reason, or wear turtlenecks, or a scarf properly? Doubt my random thoughts necessarily have any interest for someone else, but that was my pondering mind on the car ride home tonight. Now you know me better too. But i like hearing your ponderings. You are a great communicator and give me lots to think about. --sister Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm-mm... have I ever thought of blogging... yep, been there, done that, and it looks like you have inspired me to do that again! Pure Grace opens tomorrow morning after almost 7 months of taking a rest! Good to see you back Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for writing mom. I understand how it goes. I just wrote a post after 2 months of nothing! I do check and read your blog regularly though. Keep on going!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete