Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Embracing My Inner Hobo

Departing from Bad Wimpen, Germany

Why, oh why do I have this hard core optimistic faith that the train is the way to travel?
My experience proves that yes, it does finally deliver me to the right station. It's just never at the right time.  I have these horror stories of train trips that become sidetracked and delayed. And yet, time and time again I choose to travel on Amtrak. This last experience left me sitting on the track for three and a half hours (plus the actual travel time) on what should have been a one hour and fifteen minute trip. The funny part was that I was as happy as a clam, listening to my ipod and chatting with the passenger next to me. It wasn't until I reached  my destination in Lacey that I found out that my experience was already posted on Facebook and Bob was looking for me at my sister's house hoping I was safe. I had made one phone call to tell my Sis that I would be late and that I would call when I arrived. One phone call is all it takes to get the word on to Facebook! 
Waiting at the station in Nimegan, Netherlands
 So basically, my sisters are shaking their heads and wondering why I insist on traveling by train. Like I said, every time there is a horror story attached. And then the light dawned! (This happens when you are with sisters who share your history.) We remembered that our Pa Pete travelled the railways looking for work in the 30's. I instantly felt the connection to my Grampa Matthews. Don't tell me he didn't enjoy the thrill of the ride! This propensity is actually somewhere in my genes! There's just something about train travel.
Posing as Pa Pete
So yes, even when I had to make my way back home on Tuesday there was a delay to my departure time from Lacey,  but I have to tell you. I LOVED getting on that train, finding my comfortable seat and nestling in with my good book. I love being part of the world and yet being able to watch the world pass before me making me feel like an observer.  If only Amtrak were like the EuroRail system. It was so awesome getting on the trains in Europe that are highly scheduled and accurate.

But I have a confession to make. I really don't have much luck on trains. Even though the European trains have such a high success rate in scheduling, when we left Bad Wimpfen for Frankfurt there was actually a delay that made us run to catch our flight. What's up with THAT?  Even so, I will remain a die hard fan of train travel....

All Aboard!



5 comments:

  1. I'm laughing!!! Love the PaPete pose (I took). I dunno Linda your luck might affect other forms of travel as well (aka airports) Sorry Sista

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I thought maybe the first picture told the story of you getting on the train, while your traveling companions missed it and I thought, maybe you later met up at the next station (I'm speaking from my subway experience...) On further inspection, I found the form of Bob behind you...so he wasn't taking the picture...and then I found my MOTHER with the camera...and my sister-in-law laughing and pointing...and my brother's sleeve! I love how you are acting crazy and there is a calmly collected gentleman sitting next to you as if he doesn't notice your antics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Bethany, you ARE an eagle-eye! I hadn't seen those details, but it is just as you have described it. Dare I say it?? We were sending warm farewells when the train began to move and Linda stumbled into this priceless pose. My sister the hobo on her way from one adventure to another! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She gets her hobo handmedown genes from PaPete and her Bohemian handmedown jeans from Grama 4. I'm waiting to hear what else you got from the other grandparents. We did figure out the "crispy, doughy, not-fruity" part came from Mom.
    --Lori (otherwise known as anonymous)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this web site rrs really a trick http://bestonlinecasinoworld.tumblr.com online casino games

    ReplyDelete