In April I created this journal entitled "Tangled Threads". At the time it suited my mood. I had so many thoughts that were seemingly at loose ends. The first section was called 'Untangling the Threads'. I made one entry on April 4 as I began to make sense of my threads. As I let you take a peek into my thoughts at the time the entry was about me being an empty nest grandmother. I was firmly coming to terms with this reality. My daughters were all married, living out of the province and my grandchildren were not anywhere near me. I had resolved to accept this as my reality and was planning on graciously creating my life around this fact. I vowed not to hiss at my girlfriends any longer who were busy with their grandchildren. I would be the grandmother who lovingly created things for my grandchildren in my sewing and art rooms and would spend my extra money mailing them to far away places. Honestly, I have to say that my heart had come to grips with this and I felt a sweet surrender happen. Bob began to help me create my art room by building this really cool wall in our basement to separate our creative spaces. He also reorganized his office and painted the walls. He finished this project and merrily left for Vietnam. I was left with my side to paint and to reorganize myself. I had three glorious weeks ahead of me to putter and plan and do creative endeavors.
And then the phone rang.
He hadn't been gone 24 hours.
It was Laura.
They wanted to move back to Maple Ridge.
I was stunned.
I was delighted.
I was blown away.
And within weeks of this my little Sophia is in my garden room tangling threads and helping me crochet and playing in my china cabinet setting out tea parties for the family.
I have not picked up the journal since April 4. I spent my days savoring the solitude, learning to crochet and enjoying the blanket of peace that has fallen over our household.
Bob returned from Vietnam and hit the ground running. Sara came first for a visit and helped Dad finish his office space and then she did a floor plan for our renovation. She made the plan and Bob has worked the plan like the worker bee that he is. I have kept the meals coming for our work crews and doing what I can to make this cottage a reality.
It's almost ready to be painted and floored and finished.
We host a wedding in the garden tomorrow.
Life is full.
Life is good.
Life is full of surprises.
My arms are filled with love.
I still have little ones who live far away and half the time I call Sophia Lola. I am crocheting a sweater for Lola. The exciting part is that Bob and I will be traveling to the Netherlands with Sam and Lola and Matt and Gina at the end of July. Sara is coming for another visit at the end of June.
The house is quiet for the moment.
Sophia shares my little room with me but I have it to myself at this minute.
It's nice to be here blogging.
But now my heart waits for her to return from town and will hear her say, "Grama! Come here!"
It's all good.
Thank you, Lord.
Thank you, Lord.



Oh Linda, I am so happy for you. I can't wait to hear the pitter patter of little feet around here. I know, Scott is not even married yet, but I was thrilled to find out that they would like to have children in the not too distant future. I am sooo looking forward to being Grama Wella. Take good care of sweet little Sophia. What a beautiful place she has to call home. Love, Manuela
ReplyDeleteLovely... and by the way, never once did I hear you 'hiss'.
ReplyDelete