Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday Update

It's a quieter more gentle day today. Bob and I hit our yoga mats at Bikrams this morning and after lunch began a job site clean up after a very busy week and weekend.  Bob is making a dump run so I thought I would take a few minutes to blog.
Today marks Day 11 since the renovations started. The weather has been just perfect. Not too hot and just lovely with breezes. Rain is in the forecast but so far, so good.
Following will be photos in sequence from Friday through today. Ernest spend the whole week with us and then we were joined by Kris the electrician and Peter the cabinet builder on Saturday. We had three tradesmen working in a small area and some things would have been better done in time increments but we have a tight schedule and the guys have jobs so can only help on weekends. I appreciate everyone's help and great attitude.
No more garage door!


Getting ready to punch in the wall to create the opening.


Ernest made me video him as he was fantastically blown away by what happened.
In the exact spot where we needed to put the opening there was already a header and support 2by4's.
He convinced me over and over that this was nothing short of a miracle and worthy of utube.
Bob said if it truly was a miracle the job would be done.


Sophia's room



The Crew


Beginning the kitchen


I had to run to Ikea and when I came back an hour or so later Peter had the cupboards assembled. He worked in the gazebo.


I invited the crew and their families for Sunday dinner after church.
Bob bbq'd ribs. The highlight for me was the Texas cake. Some of you will know what I'm talkin' about!


Sophia's door and closet framed


Looking into the bedrooms


As soon as the opening was created I knew I didn't want any more walls or doors framed in so we changed our plans. The bedroom feels way more spacious and will be more like a bachelor apartment. It feels very airy as there is a door in the bedroom and this keeps the light from the living room flooding in. I really, really like it.  We'll put an amoire instead of a standard closet.


The beginnings of the kitchen.


I love, love, love the island. The shelves are actually stainless steel but they still have the protective cover  on them.  Laura can move this anywhere she wants.
You can see the bathroom is closed in and the pocket door was a brilliant idea to save space.

That's it for today.



4 comments:

  1. Wow, I love it. Gee, I wish I was your daughter and had to move back home!! Laura and Chris (& Sophia) will love it. You and Bob are such great, loving, generous parents. May God bless you as you continually bless others. Thanks SO much for posting the pictures. I've been checking daily and LOVE the changes. Great job!
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the photo updates Linda. I can't believe how it's progressed so quickly... It seems only days ago that I saw the garage prior to the work crew... the changes are amazing even at this stage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING!!!!

    "LOOKS FABULOUS" - Chris

    Thank you for posting the pictures!! I really love seeing the pictures, it is coming together soo nicely, i adore it. I am not sure if you will ever get rid of us ;)

    Lots of love!!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT!! It looks fabulous. :)

    I can't believe the changes in only a few short days. You all must be working non-stop! It really does look lovely, Linda. Can't wait to see it when it's all done.

    ReplyDelete