She is getting top notch training from her designer sister Sara. I feel like the wicked witch who is melting because her daughters have taken her talents and are expanding them to places she's never been. This is an overstatement that doesn't really describe my self image but I do see and rejoice in how each generation takes the gifts given from their mothers and embellishes the gifts. Grama Eileen was a great little seamstress who taught me how to sew from childhood. I followed in mom's footsteps and always sewed for myself and children and for the home, which led me into my own business, Casa Linda. There has always been a sewing machine in my life. It is just delightful to see one at Laura's house now. When we lived in the north woods in Idaho I sewed with a treadle machine because I didn't have electricity. Sara and Gina both have their own machines but Laura never showed any interest until now. I am finding this extremely satisfying. Gina won awards in high school for her home ec/sewing projects. Sara doesn't even know what a pattern is. She doesn't need one. (I can hardly wait for her niece and nephew to get their Christmas gifts.) She amazes me. And now I can watch Laura develop her own style.
Laura didn't know that I had milk jars of buttons on my desk. I told her that now when I post my pictures it will look like I am copying her! But no, buttons and bows, fabrics and thread are just in our blood and it didn't surprise me to find we both had bottles of buttons on display. Take note though, that my box is not mod podged but I feel like it will be now that I've seen Laura's. I was just going to paint it and embellish it but not anymore! I have to keep up with my girl.
My sister Sandy's girls have taken on the sew, sew, sew mantra as well. They are turning out quilts and aprons and cute little projects left, right and center. This too has happened in the past few months. I just love it!!!
Just when I thought that sewing was becoming a lost art as fabric stores continue to close their doors I am watching handmade things being crafted and sold on the internet on places like Etsy. It is encouraging.
I've enjoyed working with papers recently in making altered books because paper is much more manageable. Fabric has a mind of its own. How often do you get to the end of a seam and find extra fabric that doesn't line up? It really has been a love/hate relationship all these years but somehow the love always wins. There is just something about touching and handling fabrics.
Before Sam was born Gina designed the nursery not knowing if she was having a boy or a girl so she chose chocolate brown and taupe and a wonderful shade of blue to work in with cream colored chenille that she had from her old bedspread. I got to make all sorts of fun things for my new grandchild's room. Laura purchased all her bedding but I managed to make a little quilt for Sophia for her first Christmas.
I gave away all my industrial sewing equipment after I closed the business and was a little burned out. I still have my little Bernina and a small serger that I had given to mom when I bought my industrial one. She isn't using it anymore so Daddy let me have it back. I hear that my niece Marci was able to raid mom's large collection of thread recently for all the sewing she is doing. Those thread prices have soared along with everything else.
So, no it is not cheaper to sew but it certainly has a reward. Grama Eileen knew this and she delighted in making clothes for her children and grandchildren. I know she is very proud of everyone's current efforts.
Sister Melanie has made each of us siblings a quilt for their 50th birthday and she continues to create some amazing quilts. She recently made quilted pot holders to take with her to Japan to give as gifts. She and Bethany found that the Japanese have something similar to our 'fat quarters' and seem to have a love affair with fabrics themselves. She showed me the fabrics that she bought in Japan and will find something fun to make with them.
Lori's daughters got the sewing gene from both sides. I cannot report any current activity from this part of the family except I did hear that Danae was making a quilt before she went to Mexico.
On the other hand, I own a tracing wheel with the initials JAM. This came from a close relative who didn't find joy in sewing and it was discarded my way. I will not mention any names, Julie.
But as you can see, it is NEVER too late to become a Sew and Sew. That goes for you too, Suzie. (let the reader understand)
Did you hear about the cross eyed seamstress who couldn't mendstrate??? Get it??? I feel cross eyed at the moment from typing this and I'm well passed mendstrating so I will say goodnight.....
Happy sewing...
No comments:
Post a Comment