Sunday, July 27, 2008

Nostalgia

Read about Hannah and her new blouse in my post script

Here are some pages from one of the altered books I'm scrapbooking. It features my business cards from Casa Linda when I had the home based business. Casa means house. Linda means pretty. So my job was to make people's houses pretty. The other meaning was Linda's House because I worked from home. You can see my first cards were very country style and then I went into pretty angels. I wonder what I would use now after all these years? Those were good years for me. I started out by working in a small store selling fabrics and making valances. I got to meet all kinds of women and everyone loved talking about decorating their homes. Sometimes they would bring in household items to match up colors (like toothbrush holders). I got to drink lots of coffee, sew and chat it up with women about fabrics.
Things got more serious when I went out on my own but the rewards were significantly greater. I got to go into different homes and work more closely with clients. I made many acquaintances and felt like I got to help some of their dreams come true. It was a lot of hard work and I loved the challenge. Last week I came across a photo album with some of my work featured. I was taken a-back by some of my accomplishments. (I was younger then!) Bob was my installer and I couldn't have done it without him. We were a good team. We still are. We are just in a different playing field now.
God's field is the world and I love that He has different things for us to do within a lifetime.
Times and circumstances change. We moved to the Ridge and I gave my industrial sewing equipment away to a young woman who was starting her own business making costumes. I rarely sew now and have switched over from fabrics to pretty papers. Fabric has a mind of its own. Paper is more manageable. I still have my little Bernina and a small serger and come to think of it, I have little grandchildren. So you never know. Grama Linda may strike again in the future. I actually did make Samuel's bedsheets and blankets and pillows and I've made a quilt for Sophia.
Post Script: My niece Marci is currently sewing for her daughters Rachel and Hannah so I love to see the tradition carry on. I sewed a lot when my girls were young. I will end with a picture of Hannah in her new summer top made with fabric from Grama Eileen's fabric stash. Typically it has butterflies on it. Hannah just wrote to tell me that she got her hair cut. I can hardly wait to see it. Joyfully, I WILL SEE IT next month when she comes to Canada on the train with her mom and sister and Grama Sandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment