Tuesday, July 21, 2009

She's Like The Wind

Jesus said, "The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit"

Dr. Hania Binder
No, I didn't spell Hanna's name wrong. This is her Polish name and it rolls off the tongue with grace and ease. Just one of the many things that I learned about my friend at her funeral. I've decided that all the bears that Hanna gave me are now going to be called either Hanna or Hania. My grandaughter pronounced it today. Her memory will stay alive in my heart and home and family.

The past week was one of the most bittersweet times I've ever had in my life. Hania's death affected me greatly, but I was not the only one. There seems to be a crater left in our community with her passing. She was so greatly loved and admired by all. Everyone who spoke of her, whether it was a patient or a professional colleague, or a family friend, thought of her first as a friend. She had a way of making you feel like the most important person in the world when she was with you.

I had another amazing experience through all of this that I doubt I can ever really convey...but I will try. Have you ever heard of a smudge stick? Artists use this tool to take a pencil line and smear and blend it, to soften it, to make the whole flow together. In my life I have circles of friends and without really meaning to, I drew lines around these women. I have my book clubs, my Joy Club, my church family, my neighborhood friends, etc. The most touching thing happened this week. These circles came together and the Lord took out the smudge stick and I could not tell who belonged where anymore. We were all together in Hanna's name for the purpose of bringing her honor and to comfort one another. Hanna had infiltrated every circle I know because she was my friend. My friend, Judy had become her neighbor in the last two years as Hanna moved next door to her. My other Judy travelled to Vietnam together with me and Hanna and the team. Nadia also travelled with us and Hanna had attended Nadia's Ukranian dance recital. Judy and Cathie sat together at the funeral and got a little more acquainted after hearing about each other through me for a long time. On and on it goes and it really fills my heart with pleasure. I was able to draw close to Hanna's daughter and her other friends as well, and I know that we will enjoy a new friendship through this. I am rich in friendship and I feel like I just became richer.

The Chicklits met at my house on Friday night before the prayers and we rode together and had a special time afterwards at Dwaina's house. We stood together at the memorial as I made the presentation. Ann, Michelle and Jody are missing from the pic.
From Left:
Roberta, Lyn, Linda, Kerri, Dwaina

It was a hard week. It was a good week. It was a week to remember. I have decided that Hanna is like the wind...just viewing the slideshow depicting her life proved my point. She was here, there and everywhere on this lovely planet and yet she was always present in the moment no matter where she was. She had brains, beauty and style. No one will ever fill her shoes and I miss her sorely. She has become a source of inspiration to all of us to be all that we can be, to live life to the fullest.

To Hanna!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful testament to your friend Linda...and such an apt description....She's like the Wind.

    I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete